Friday, April 11, 2014

Milk can makeover



I've had this old milk can for a while now and finally decided to do something with it.



I cleaned it with TSP which you can find at hardware stores and then gave it three good coats of Rust-Oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.


It looked better, but was still boring. I decided to add our house number to it. You could also do your last name or a greeting. There are much more professional ways to go about this, but I took the cheap route and typed our house number in Word, printed it on card stock, and cut it out with a blade.

Font is Apple Chancery at size 200


I had some leftover crackle spray paint from this project and decided to try it on the milk can. I taped the stencil onto the milk can.



Valspar Crackle from Hobby Lobby

When working with crackle spray paint, your area must be warm. It will not crackle if it's cold out. I learned this the hard way the first time I used it. I used a small space heater this time and had it pointed toward the can. If it's a nice summer day though this won't be necessary.


I applied two coats of base. Wait 30 minutes in between coats. Once you're done with the base and have waited one hour, apply the top coat. It should crackle within a few minutes. If it's not crackling you either didn't put enough base coat on or it's too cold.


I was going to buy something new to decorate the milk can with, but thought I'd try out some items I had at home - burlap ribbon, lighted branches, and greenery with pink flowers.




I added the flecks of paint around No. 801 on purpose. I simply held the spray paint can far away and did several quick bursts.
"What is this peculiar thing?! Let me out so I can attack it!"
Thoughts? I plan to change it up each season with different ribbons and greenery. Search for milk cans on pinterest and you'll find all sorts of ways to spruce them up. I even used milk cans for decorating at my wedding. Check that post out here. If you need to buy one, your best bet will be auctions or Craigslist.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I have two milk cans I got in the 70's. It's time to do something with them! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete